Welcome to the Year 2 page
While we are in Lockdown again we are setting all work on Seesaw. Please contact the class teacher if you have any problems, questions or queries.
Mrs Hewitt & Miss Maughan
Week 1 - Autumn 2
- This week we have used our plans, thought of some wow words to use and written the opening and build up of our own finding tale. We then used a purple polishing pen to edit and improve it..
- We looked at adding and subtracting two 2-digit numbers. Some required crossing the tens or exchanging ones to tens.
Week 2 - Autumn 2
- We learnt about Remembrance. We looked at videos, read books, looked at photographs and pictures. We listened to sound effects to imagine what it was like for soldiers in World War 1. The children completed a senses grid. They then wrote a letter home to their parents imaging they were a soldier in the war.
- We added three 1-digit numbers. The children learnt to look for number bonds to ten, doubles and near doubles. Adding these two numbers made it easier and quicker.
Week 3 - Autumn 2
- This week we concentrated on Science, We looked at how animals and humans change when they grow, the basic needs of living things, a balanced diet and how important exercise is. We discussed how exercise affects our body too.
Week 1 - Autumn 1
- We have looked at Paddington Bears suitcase, we wrote a list of what could be inside. We also designed a MISSING POSTER for Paddington.
- Place value, partitioning 2 digit numbers into tens and ones. We used diennes, part, part, whole model, ten frames and straws.
Week 2 - Autumn 1
- This week we learnt about Spectacled Bears. We read facts, sorted the information into 5 headings and wrote a fact sheet. The headings were Diet, Appearance, Habitat, Reproduction and Behaviour.
- Place value, creating an addition number sentence e.g. 67 = 60 + 7 85 = 80 + 5 and comparing two numbers using the more than/less than symbol.
Week 3 - Autumn 1
- This week we completed a cold write, which involved writing the beginning of a story The Three Little Pigs. We found a smashed scone with cream and jam all over the place & a story about Paddington. We acted out the story of Paddington with props and completed some hot seating designing questions we would ask the characters.
- We ordered 2 digit numbers looking at the tens and then the ones. We counted in 2's, 5's, 10's and 3's. We used a 100 square and worked out numbers that were 2 less and 2 more, 10 less and 10 more.
Week 4 - Autumn 1
- This week we had to learn the story that we were left. We were given symbols to show the key points of the story and as a class we had to come up with actions to match them e.g. hands on hips for Mrs Brown
- We looked at fact families in Maths this week e.g. 3 + 4 = 7
4 + 3 = 7
7 - 3 = 4
7 - 4 = 3
We also compared number sentences using the more than and less than symbol.
3 + 4 = 2 + 5
5 + 2 more than 3 +3
Week 5 - Autumn 1
- This week we had to change the main parts of the Paddington story like Paddington, Mr & Mrs Brown, the station, Paddington's hat etc. We then had to write the beginning of the story with all our changes.
- We looked at adding and subtracting 1-digit and 2-digit numbers, just looking at the ones then the tens.
Week 6 - Autumn 1
- This week we have looked at alliteration, rhyming words and shape poems. All the children have written a poem about a London landmark to enter a competition. The poems were acrostic.
- We looked at adding a 2-digit number to a 1-digit number when you have to carry the ones into the tens column. T O
Week 7 - Autumn 1
- This week we have to plan our own finding tale. We drew pictures to tell the story starting with the opening, build up, problem, resolution and then ending.
- We looked at subtracting a 1-digit number from a 2-digit number.
If you want to send a message please email us.
Mrs Hewitt & Miss Maughan